Apr 16, 2019
William Pate, CEO and President of the
Atlanta Convention and Visitors Bureau, joins Mark for a talk
about Atlanta, the hospitality industry, and how social media helps
them bring visitors to the city and frequenting their member
businesses. William has held positions leading Career Sports & Entertainment, Bellsouth, MCI
and others. He has won various awards including Atlanta Magazine's 2019 Most
Influential Leaders and Georgia Trend's 2019 Notable
Georgians. The City has hosted the 2019
LIII Super Bowl, 2018 College Football
Championship, the SEC Football Championship every December, and
the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl--among others. In
2020, Atlanta will host the NCAA Final Four for Men's
Highlights of the talk:
- 3:30, William talks about what the ACVB does...
- 4:57: how did William's sports promotion background help him at
- 11:50: When has Atlanta had to deal with negative news on
- 14:00: William talks about trolling his competitors to get
ideas and how they watch conventioneers for feedback. How
does the ACVB attempt to attract folks to downtown on the
- 21:30: Why does William NOT post much on social media?
Will he post more often? How Mark lost this argument...!
- 26:37: How important is a consistent frequency on social
- 31:17: William talks about how certain businesses should use
their "social media pulpit".
- 36:54: How did Atlanta organizing 10,000 volunteers for the
Super Bowl? Congrats to Amy Patterson, VP of Operations of
the Host Committee for making this happen.
Find Atlanta at www.atlanta.net